The holiday season is upon us, and every driver must be prepared for the worst. That means you will need a cold weather emergency kit for your vehicle. Most people already have an ice scraper on hand to clear their Houston auto glass on a frigid winter day. However, in the event of an urgent situation, you need much more than that. Follow these tips so that you never find yourself stuck on the roadside and unable to properly handle the situation.
If you have any cracks or pits in your vehicle’s windows, you should visit us at Apple Glass Company to have a Houston windshield repair performed. Ice could settle into a crack and enlarge it, so it is a good idea to either fix the problem or have us do a Houston windshield replacement just to be safe. You also want to check the level of your antifreeze and fill the reservoir of your windshield wiper fluid with a fresh mixture of washer fluid. Another good idea is to keep your gas tank close to full at all times so that the fuel has no condensation and cannot freeze in the gas lines. If you get stranded somewhere, you might need to run your car’s heater for several hours and a full tank of gas provides peace of mind.
Here are a few other things you should check to winterize your vehicle.
• Brakes and brake fluid
• Emergency flashers
• Windshield wipers
• Oil level
• Tire pressure and the depth of the tread
• Heating and defrosting system
• Battery level and contacts
Next, assemble your emergency kit. Be sure you have the following items on hand.
1. Jumper cables in good condition
2. At least one powerful flashlight with an extra set of fresh batteries
3. A reliable spare tire, a jack and a lug wrench
4. A basic tool kit
5. Spare fuses
6. A new or freshly charged fire extinguisher
7. Road flares or an emergency signaling light
8. Enough water and food for a few people in case you have passengers
9. Winter clothing, including a pair of gloves, a scarf, a hat and a coat
10. A blanket
11. A rescue tool that can cut a seat belt and break a window
12. A first aid kit
13. A sharp knife
14. At least two lighters in case one does not work properly
15. An empty gasoline container
16. Some cash
The Houston auto glass professionals at Apple Glass can make sure your vehicle’s windows are ready for the upcoming cold weather. We have been serving the Houston Metro area for over 25 years. We will fix any cracks or replace any windows that cannot be repaired. Stop by our Houston or The Woodlands location so that you can rest assured that you will be ready for any emergency you may encounter this winter.